samedi 18 janvier 2014

Treasure Island Newsletter #6

Performers

We've started blocking up to Crew's entrance. The children were coached to better use their body and voice for a more expressive acting. I noticed several children still glued their eyes on the script, which prevented them from acting full out. I am now requesting all actors to know their lines by heart, and also the lines before, so that I can effectively coach them to act. 

As of Wednesday rehearsal on stage will be off book. All children must nevertheless bring their scripts so they can follow what's going on and know when they need to get ready to take the stage. 

Performers are responsible for their own props. Example: if the script says Mom1 gives Jim1 a book, Mom1 must have brought a book and be get on stage with the book in hand.  

Parents please look in  Treasure Island Reference Documentsheet "Cast" to see what I wish your child to wear for the performance, and check if they have those items. If they don't, please don't rush to the store yet, I'll first try to find alternatives. 
For crew members who have speaking roles, please scroll down my Treasure Island Pinterest board for inspirations on "pirates'' costumes. 
Gather what ever you have at home that's black, red and white and that can make a pirate costume, put in a bag, and have your child bring to the GLC at lunchtime for me to check: 
  • Tuesday: Storytellers, Jims, Moms, Dog, Parrot, Teacher. I'd like Storytellers to wear some striped costumes if possible.
  • Wednesday: Crew, including those having speaking lines. I'd like crew who have speaking lines to wear some striped costumes if they have.
  • Thursday: Natives & Ben Gun
Costumes

Costume makers have cut fabric to prepare accessories for sailors and island natives. They have started sewing skirts for natives. This coming week they will continue with cutting fabric, sew more skirts, and help fitting wherever needed. Hopefully we'll have time to work on the parrot's costume and the dog's ears. 

I am missing a few children who signed up for costume but never showed up. A kindly reminder that children who miss more than 5 shifts may not see their name appear on the show program. 

We are thankful for Ms Sapna Jain, Saanvi's mom, for being the Costume Mistress for the production. 

Props & Sets

Props & Sets crew are making food trays by crumbling color papers. This coming week they will finish the food trays, paint the boat, and help Mrs Harvey build the ship wherever needed

5th and 8th grade Helpers

I want to express my deep appreciation for your help! I know it is not always an easy job to supervise kids who are just a few years younger than you, but you have been fantastic! Without your help, the rehearsal would not have progressed that steadily. 

This week, your job will be to help each of the performers know their line by heart, and act their part by heart. Anyone who doesn't have anything to do should be learning their lines, and you can help them by sitting with them and ask them to recite their lines to you. 

Wednesday I'll give a 20 minutes individual group work, this time in 3 groups: 
  1. Natives: finish learning choreography with Serena
  2. Sailors: finish learning choreography with me
  3. All others: recite lines with Michelle and 5th grade helpers. 
After that, I'll conduct blocking in the format of a master class. Everyone's focus will be on the stage: what ever I'll coach will be a lesson for everyone, while paying attention in order to be ready to take the stage at a timely manner. 

I want you helpers to watch me coach and remember my suggestions to the performers, so that you can later coach them individually. 
We only have two more weeks when I can give performers my undivided attention. In February Tech crew will come in and I will have to give them attention and instructions as well, then I will rely on you to help keep the rehearsal going on.

Again, thank you for being there, and keep up with the good work! I love having you with me!

Chaperone

I'd need two to three chaperones for this Thursday's rehearsal. If you can help 3:05pm-4:35pm, please sign up here: http://doodle.com/uqxi5gkd99b4pn6k 

If you can chaperone the children at lunch time, 12:30-1:30pm, please sign up through this Doodle link

Wish list
  • 2 large palm leaves to make 2 fans for Ben Gun
  • Empty plastic bottles of Coke 
  • Toy crowns & jewels
  • Black, white, red clothing that you don't use at home.
  • Long & thick pole for ship
Sneak peak

You may take a sneak peek on your child's adventure in Treasure Island in the Making on HaoExpression Facebook page. Faces are blurred on the pictures to protect the children's privacy. 

Warmly,
Hao

Hao Bach-Thai Lueckhoff
Expressive Coach & Artistic Director
HaoExpression || www.HaoExpression.org
Follow us on Facebook || www.facebook.com/HaoExpression

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire